BMW Dixi 3/15 PS DA4 Saloon 1927 - 1931
In 1927, the Eisenach Dixi Works started up license production of the successful English small car Austin 7 under the designation Dixi 3/15 PS DA1. When the company was taken over, BMW itself became a car maker from 1928. Initially, many of the car's details had to be improved. The bodies were also thoroughly revised and several versions were marketed. The new vehicle type was supplied to customers under the designation BMW 3/15 PS DA. The advanced DA4 version came on the market as the last generation in mid-february 1931.
The engineering of the car remained generally unchanged compared with the predecessor model, and the main difference was the new front wheel suspension in the form of a swing axle.
Changes to the bodywork had created more space in the interior to meet urgent demands from customers. However, the small baggage compartment in the rear had to be sacrificed in favour of the modifications in the new model.
The bodies were manufactured in an all-steel design by the well-known coachbuilder in Berlin.
A total of 3480 D cars were built as open two-seaters, four-seater touring cars, four-seater saloons and two-seater coupés. 2575 of these were built as saloons. The lightweight construction and the torsional flexibility of the chassis restricted the lifetime of the saloon bodies on account of the poor roads at the time. This gave smaller coachbuilders the opportunity to create a substitute body, generally with a more sporty shape.
Alongside Assmann in Eisenach, Buhne in Berlin, and Schwab in Stuttgart, the coachbuilder Gebrüder Ihle based in Bruschsal was particularly active in supplying special bodies for the BMW 3/15 PS models in the form of open roadsters from the mid-1930s.
Wallpapers : BMW Dixi 3/15 PS DA4 Saloon 1927 - 1931