Autoconcept-reviews.com
menu menu menu menu menu menu menu menu
menu menu menu menu menu menu menu menu
menu menu
Go to facebook autoconcept-reviews.com

BMW 328 Roadster 1937

A manufacturer of aircraft engines and then of motorcycles when the first activity was prohibited after 1918, BMW entered the automobile market in 1928 when it acquired the Dixi factories in Eisenach. The first type produced, an Austin Seven under licence, was followed by increasingly sophisticated models until the 303, the first six-cylinder model of the brand, was launched in 1933.

On its tubular, rigid and modern chassis with independent front wheels and hydraulic brakes, BMW installed increasingly powerful engines, culminating in 1936 with the 328 type, of which the six-cylinder two-litre group reached 80 hp. This remarkable yield was due to the adoption of a hemispherical cylinder head designed by the aeronautical engineer Rudolf Schleicher, the inventor of a novel distribution system that made it possible to use the bottom end of the engine and the lateral camshaft of the front 326 type whilst adding a system of return rods and two rocker-arm ramps that controlled two tilted valves per chamber, without having to resort to distribution to one or two overhead camshafts, which was expensive. The short and almost vertical inlets, surmounted by three inverted carburettors, also contributed to the excellent yield of this two-litre group.

From 1936 onwards, the competition version of the modern 328 proved unbeatable in its category, dominating the European circuits and road events, Mille Miglia, the 24 Hours of Le Mans, the Spa 24 Hours, the Tourist Trophy, etc. Its performance continued to be remarkable after 1945 and it was the origin of the Veritas and Bristol automobiles, among others. In total, BMW produced only 426 BMW 328 models between 1936 and 1939, of which only 200 are left.

The 328 shown here, chassis number 85075, with the roadster competition version of the bodywork, was delivered new to Karl G.Roehrs KG. in Hannover. Purchased in 1993 by Andreas Rathmayr, it was completely restored in Germany by Peter Rosenow in Rangsdorf in 1995. Its engine was pushed to 135 hp, it was prepared for participation in historic events, and the car took part, with its previous owner, in the most prestigious events: the Nürburgring Oldtimer GP, Mille Miglia, the historic Le Mans, Eifel Klassik, etc).

Wallpapers : BMW 328 Roadster 1937

BMW 328 Roadster 1937
BMW 328 Roadster 1937
BMW 328 Roadster 1937
BMW 328 Roadster 1937

See also :

BMW 328 Kamm Racing Saloon 1939 BMW 328 Kamm Racing Saloon 1939
BMW 328 Touring Coupe 1939 BMW 328 Touring Coupe 1939

 

 

index - cars & reviews - motor shows -contact - sitemap